Monday, April 8, 2013

The Beginning/Inspiration

My best friend and I have been New Kids on the Block fans since we were about 7 (ehem, 26 years ago). Their new album 10 just came out and on it there is a song called "Remix (I like the)". While I don't totally fit all of the lyrics, I am far from the outcast or shy, I do feel like I need to remix myself and have found the song empowering and inspiring. So here's some background...

Five years ago, NKOTB reunited to our amazement and delight and Heidi (my BFF) and I went to their come-back concert in October. I had been working really hard on my health and weight for other reasons and was at my 10 year best by the concert. We were even able to wear my old t-shirts from our first NKOTB concert in 1990. I felt great and looked good.

Well as we all know, life happened. After being in a happy relationship and having a baby last July, I find myself about 35 pounds overweight. Still in the happy relationship and I love my family but I long to be able to fit into my old jeans and my original NKOTB shirts, which I still have. I also want to be able to chase my son and play on the floor with him with ease. So here we are. I've taken my life-long love for a band and turned it into inspiration to help me lose the extra weight and get a hold of my health reins.

The challenge: 35 pounds by July 5. July 5th because Heidi and I will be going to the Package Tour concert at Staples Center that night. While I don't care to wear the original shirts again, been there done that, I want the body and confidence I had when I was able to wear it five years ago. 35 pounds is pretty arbitrary but I chose to pick a number and I want to get as close to it as possible. I won't be totally discouraged or upset if I don't hit that magic number but I want to try.

The plan:

  • drink at least 3 quarts of liquid a day (80% water)
  • cut out ALL soda and replace with Spark twice a day. 
  • limit carbs to healthy good complex carbs and get rid of the trash carbs.
  • Implement the 24 Day Challenge (more to come on that)
  • Eat more fruits and vegetables. 
  • Exercise at least 5 times a week.
I know this sounds like a large bite to chew but I've done it before and I hope that by blogging it I will keep the motivation and keep myself honest ;) Feel free to come on this journey with me and share your stories and struggles as we go. Challenge on! Let's "Remix" this!

1990: Few weeks before our first NKOTB concert.

2008 a few weeks before the Comeback concert.


NKOTBSB July 2011


Now 2013 at Disneyland with my son.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you for making a healthy choice. I will follow your lead and there will be less of us at the NKOTB Concert. Love you as always, mom

    ReplyDelete