Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I haven't forgotten...

Sorry I kind of left you all hanging after the great proclamation but as we all know too well, sometimes life gets in the way. Spent yesterday filing our taxes which meant a kind of late night. I was good and ordered a salad for dinner and only ate half but I drank too many Diet Cokes (3) and didn't get nearly enough walking in. I'm trying to cut back to 1 and ultimately no sodas since my beloved Diet Coke is my main vice and it is soooo bad for me. I know these things but somehow I still make the poor choice. I heard someone finally describe why it is so bad in actual terms that make sense rather than "it causes cancer and makes you fat."

So here is the explanation and I don't even remember where I heard it, but I'm sure you can confirm it with a small Google hunt. Anyway, Aspartame, the sugar substitute used in DC, turns to formaldehyde once ingested. Formaldehyde is not a compound humans can naturally process so it get stored in our fat cells. It also consumes sugar or carbohydrates. SO in essence, the Diet actually makes you crave sugar and carbs. That's why people who drink DC usually have a weight problem. It's a vicious cycle, they drink the diet because they are worried about the calories or sugar intake in the regular version, but then end up eating more sugar and carbs because the diet food and soda is making them crave it. Man why didn't I learn this sooner, and why the heck can't I just pitch it? Oh well one step at a time.

Today was pretty uneventful at work, we are in the middle of CST testing which means total boredom for the teacher. After school I got some bad news, one of my very best friend's grandmother died this morning. It was not a surprise but it was still heartbreaking. The good that came from it is that my friend will be coming to visit. I haven't seen her since our wedding two years ago. We talked for over an hour and I realized just how much I've missed her. So I was doing really well this morning-afternoon and then I let the emotions get the best of me and I sort of binged... I ate two handfuls of gluten free pretzels with artichoke spinach dip. For dinner I had mozzarella sticks. I ate a banana an apple, and grapes and a cheese stick for lunch so I didn't totally blow it calorie-wise. I also walked 3 miles today. And again, I let the Diet Coke monkey get the best of me. It will be easier once the last of this case is gone. Out of sight, out of mind.

While being totally bored after testing, I was researching something for someone and found this article. It makes so much sense. We aren't big milk drinkers but we do eat a lot of cheese and the boys in our family eat a lot of ice cream. That will have to change...
http://www.waoy.org/9.html

So on the whole, I had some set-backs in the first few days of this journey but who doesn't? I just can't let them get the better of me like they usually do. Better luck tomorrow.
Heidi and I at the Come Back concert in Oct 2008. Not the best picture but it's one of the only ones we have from that amazing night.
I forgot to add, we totally smuggled our way into the after party in Vegas after the show that night... More to come on that.

1 comment: